The interest in Duathlons and Triathlons is at an all-time high! Infact, USA Triathlon numbers reached 550,446 members in 2012. To put that into perspective, membership hovered between 100,000 to 130,000 from 1998-2000. In 2012 an estimated 1.99 million individuals completed at least one triathlon in 2011, up from 1.7 million unique participants in 2010.
Mark H. Wilson, race director with HITS Triathlon Series says, “I think people are starting to realize that what we are doing is something really special.” “We offer opportunities for triathlon to be a family-affair, a weekend getaway and a training tool, as well as a competitive race environment. This year’s races are really taking off and 2014 is looking to be even more exciting.”
So why is this sport growing SO rapidly? Here are a few reasons:
- They’re addicting! Most people are hooked after their first experience
- Society has a growing interest in healthy lifestyle
- Shorter distances (aka Sprint Triathlon) have become VERY popular
- HUGE Olympic attention on the sport
- Growth in the 30-49 age groups who are looking for varied outlets for fitness
- The reward of saying “I’m a Triathlete”
- Beginners Guides are readily available
- Youth and Women are ACTIVE participants in the sport!
Triathlons and duathlons are challenging yet VERY rewarding to compete in. As an avid runner and Triathlete, I believe everyone can do it even if it’s not easy. Put one foot in front of the other and eventually you’ll finish! Grab a friend or family member and challenge yourselves to train and commit to doing that first Triathlon. I guarantee you’ll do more 🙂